Pages

Friday, August 3, 2012

Brown Bear Unit....FINISHED!



Stick a fork in me, I'm done!  I know.....2 posts in one day, but I'm sooooo excited about this one!  I finished my first literacy unit today.  My eyeballs are about to fall outta my head, but I think the work was well worth it. 50 pages of engaging learning!
sentence strips for retelling
memory game
I stuck with literacy activities.  Based on everyone's favorite choral reading book....Brown Bear by Eric Carle.  There are 6 activities included:

a take home story for emergent readers, just copy front-to-back & fold; no cutting!
retelling props with sentence strips
sentence scramble + recording sheet
go fish game for color word identification + recording sheet
concentration game for letter identification (uppercase/ lowercase)
and a read the room + recording sheet
story retelling props

take home story
lots of recording sheets to assess learning
I've also added a labeling packet to supplement this unit.  It gives early learners practice with spelling, vocabulary, and writing! This packet includes 19 pages of color and blackline masters; for use in whole group, small group, or at your seat practice.  
I'd love it if you'd take a look...there's a small preview file for you to check out.  My next project will involve Brown bear's more "sophisticated cousin,"  Baby Bear.  This one is aimed more at my firsties.  It has the same predictable text, but introduces "fancy" animals....flying squirrels, prairie dogs, rattlesnakes, etc.  
So, that's my soapbox for the night.  You can check out this unit in my Teachers Pay Teachers store, along with all sorts of other resources.  And remember;  fancy,  sophisticated Brown Bear coming soon!

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations on finishing your literacy unit!

    imgoingfirst@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog & I'm a new follower. I am also a 1st grade teacher & am excited to find a new first grade teacher to follow & share ideas with. Congrats on finishing your unit! It looks great!
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work! I just bought it and looks great.
    I'm also your newest follower. Hope you drop on by:)

    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete
  4. yayayay! You're awesome, and as a thank you for being the FIRST to buy this unit; I'm sending you the labeling packet that goes with Brown Bear.
    Carrie :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. New follower here! Found you through your super cute Pencil Organization Tags on TPT!

    Katie
    Rock and Teach

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so cute and fun! Thanks for finding me. I am your newest follower.

    Yeehaw! Teaching in Texas

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Carrie! Thanks again for the labelling package. I gave you a little shout-out tonight:)

    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for stopping by my blog and becoming a follower. Naturally I had to drop by your blog and follow you too! I look forward to reading all about your ideas in the future. Good luck this school year!

    ReplyDelete